Thursday, February 11, 2010

January's Hero

There is no set pattern to the people I choose . I may select them because they were Born that month but mainly it's because of their example they left for me to follow or the value I needed that month to help me grow.

My choice this month is my Grandfather Ivan Johnson. My grandfather grew up in a large family, found my grandmother by the spirit and together they had 6 children. His life was lived for the gospel and his family. Now that he is in his early 90's all but blind, has a hard time moving around because of age, can't hear much at all, to some they may pity him because of age, or because of his job profession. The world would say he lived a hard life not much accomplished in their eyes.
But for me I see more, I see a Hero, a spiritual giant. He never stops trying his best to provide for his home. He never stops learning how to adapt to the changes in his life. He continues to maintain a garden, attends the temple once a week, pushes a broom around and events contraptions to ease their life. Physically he is a 60 years old , mentally still all there, but spiritually a giant.
As I was thinking the other day about my grandpa a scripture came to mind Mosiah 3:19. The beginning of this verse is a little harsh but the end was a word for word description of my hero. He as shown me how it is to submit to the spirit and become like a child, of God.
He knows what a divine child he is and how much the Lord loves him. If you ask him to bare his testimony you can feel the present of the holy ghost engulf the room. As you watch his tears flow they become a testimony of his love toward our Father in Heaven and his son Jesus Christ.
I'm grateful for his example of gratitude and love for his family and the gospel. I hope one day I too can develop a testimony like his and all shall know my love I have for the gospel too. Thank you Grandpa Johnson I love you.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I love your January Hero.. He is one of my hero's as well. :)

Favorite songs


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones