Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Halloween Costume

Andy and I have been trying so hard to have really cool costumes every year for Halloween. This year we had a hard time figuring out what we were going to be. Until we did a search for Recycled Costumes. We stumbled upon this one...

It took about 3 days to make both heads and the hand pieces. I was the carver, sculpture, sower and detail personal. Andy was the the spray paint master.
How we did it...



Buy 2 inch. Insulation Styrofoam Board @ any hardware do it yourself store
Have a nice knife, and knife sharpener (your knife goes dole fast, I sharped our knife almost every 10 min.)
Paper and pencil, protractor, pen
Acrylic paint (use craft paint because spray paint eats Styrofoam)
Bug netting or Screen netting
Glue

Figure out how big you want the head to be, make a circle pattern with paper and protractor. Measure the height of your head decide how tall you want the head. For Andy his head was 10 inch's so we make the head 12 inch's tall for the neck and Lego cap. So we had to cut out 6 same size circles.
Once the circles are cut out trace the top of the head and tapper larger with each circle. You sort of have to guess, cut and fit the piece on layer by layer. We started at the top and move to the last 6th circle that rests on your shoulders. Numbering helps too, we numbered the circle on the inside.
here is a site to get more detailed directions.
http://xenomachina.com/2005/10/howto-lego-minifig-costume.html
After you figure out the head piece then you work on the outside. First glue the circles it together in order and make sure it fits on your head. I used a knife and shaved the circles sides off to make it smoother then I curved the edges too. After that I made the Lego cap and cut out a Lego name and glued on top. We than painted it with craft glue and let it set for a night. Andy spray painted the heads. Then I measured the eyes and mouth out. Drilled the eyes out, painted the inside with black and circles on the outside. At last I painted a big smile on and glued on the circle netting the size of the eyes.
For Mrs. Lego's hair I bought 1/2 a yard of brown Felt @ the craft store. Cut the felt to look like plastic hair, glued it together and there you have it a Lego head.
The hands I made with yellow felt. To make the hands stiff I put card stock in them.

3 comments:

Adam and Ashley said...

You two are so creative!!! I love your costumes... Well done! I wish I could have taken you two to our ward trunk or treat. You would have won for sure. Hopefully someone will give you an award for those brilliant costumes!

Jessica... a.k.a... Frank. said...

Okay. In the top 3 best costumes I've seen this year. Props.

The Gentry's said...

Wow, I'm so amazed, they turned out GREAT!!! How did you breath in those things though?? I hope you kept these awesome costumes, they could come in handy later possibly!!

Favorite songs


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones